Monday, March 15, 2010

Reciprocal Crucifixion


3.15.2010

Galatians 6:14 14 But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. ESV

Dead plus dead equals dead. That’s the equation Paul spells out for them in Galatians 6; a reciprocal crucifixion in which both parties are dead to one another and thereby have no part of one another. The cross of Christ crucified the world to Paul. Therefore the world was dead and not only dead but dead as a result of being condemned and killed in a punitive action. And so was Paul to the world.

The importance of the reciprocal crucifixion was that there would be no chance that the two parties have any opportunity to mix – dead plus dead equals dead. It was the only hope of holy survival for Paul who lived out the words of Jesus that he would be in the world, but not of the world.

And it is my only hope as well. I must learn, grow and experience this dual crucifixion if I stand any hope at all of being effective only to heaven in this world. I must live and learn the boast that in the cross of Christ, the world is crucified to me and I to the world. There is no other way…

Father in Heaven,
You intentioned from the very beginning to save Your children from the world they know and bring them eventually into the world You promise; but that requires dual crucifixion whereby the pull of the world’s culture is killed in them and they to the world. Both parts must die to each other. Help me to live this life in Christ and help lead others to that same place – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: