Wednesday, March 10, 2010

God Called Them His Sons
3.10.2010

Deuteronomy 14:1a “You are the sons of the Lord your God.” ESV

Even in antiquity; even in the Old Testament, God saw them as His children; He called them His sons. Paul said, “…And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God. (Galatians 4:6-7) These truths are so big we can hardly comprehend them.

The difficulty of the Old Testament for me is the rules and the details of the rules. But I read it much differently when I realize God called them His sons. God’s laws were the proper way for sons to live, but God was always more interested in relationships than He was with laws.

Again, Paul says in Galatians, “But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.” (Galatians 4:4-5 ESV) God always saw them as His sons but had His eye on the future knowing that they needed way more than rules to cement their place in His family.

I am a child of the Living God. I was born of a woman (thank You God!) but born apart from the law. Through faith in Christ, the Perfect Sacrifice however, I too am included as a son of the Lord my God. So all that I do, think and say must come from the identity of who I am in Christ, not where I’m from. Today I celebrate that!

Father in Heaven,
You are my Father because by faith in Jesus Christ, I can call You that in all truth and with every benefit that goes along with it. Thank You. Father, fill me with Your Spirit this day to walk, talk and act as a son and to reflect Your heart to those who don’t yet know You want to be their Dad – I pray in Christ’s Name, amen.

No comments: