Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This is Different


3.17.2010

1 Corinthians 2:4-5 4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. ESV

What made the difference for Paul was his point of view – it was entirely of the Lord and none of him. Paul somehow understood the magnitude of his message and the temptation others might have to try to understand it with mere words of men. “Not so”, says Paul, “…my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.” And even then he knew they would struggle as was evidenced in his writing to them to correct some abuses.

That is both the mystery and the majesty of our faith – it rests on God and His power and not in the wisdom and understandings of men. It also might explain why we seek so much from God and receive so little – we’re more content to be told what to believe than to seek God on His terms that our lives may be enriched according to Him and His power at work in our lives.

This is the difference: God’s power and presence in my life as He chooses, not as I deem. That makes me think differently about what I pray for and what the goals of my life really ought to be. And the demonstrations of God’s power are not as flashy as I think they ought to be but might in Him to see a person’s life completely changed for the good for eternity. Wow!

As Paul was focused completely on God and accepted whatever the Lord did, so must I be; so must I live. This is the difference: I will seek God on His terms and not demand my way. Then it is all Him and none of me and that’s the way it should be…

Father in Heaven,
You have blessed me with many freedoms and gifts for which I am thankful; but I don’t want to end up fat and forgetful, full of toys and food in a façade of false faith. Help me to walk humbly before You and to seek Your power to see my heart and the hearts of those around me changed that we may see you and follow You – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: