Tuesday, January 19, 2010

With My Sword and Bow


1.19.2010

Genesis 48:22 22 Moreover, I have given to you rather than to your brothers one mountain slope that I took from the hand of the Amorites with my sword and with my bow.” ESV

I almost feel like saying, “Why Jacob, you old warrior, you! Who knew you even had a sword and a bow?” But let’s not kid ourselves, Jacob and his people knew how to fight and attack and defend; it was a necessity of life back then. Fortunately the Bible doesn’t focus on such exploits but it does drop hints that the patriarchs were not just a bunch of simple shepherds – they were trained fighters; they had to be or else they’d be dead shepherds.

What is worth fighting for in the life of the modern believer? What is worth fighting for and learning how to fight for? What happens if I don’t fight, attack and defend? I wind up being a dead believer, or certainly an ineffective one. The apostle Paul once wrote, “…For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.” (2 Corinthians 10:4 ESV) He also wrote, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." (2 Timothy 4:7 ESV) Paul fought and warred against all that stood opposed to God. The same is required of you and me if we call ourselves believers.

I have two choices only: to be a living (fighting) believer or a dead one. My faith does not come easy nor is it safe from the assault of the world, the flesh and the devil. To win, to finish well, I must fight against all that stands against God and persuade as many who will listen to do the same.

Father God,
You are the warrior King and a battle rages that I mostly do not see. But the attacks are real and the stakes are life and death. Help me to fight, attack, and defend all that is mine in Christ – through Christ – and to teach others to do the same; I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: