Sunday, January 10, 2010

Help Wanted


1.10.2010

Luke 10:2 2 And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." ESV

I have always wanted to chafe a little under Jesus’ words here; if God is the Lord of the Harvest then why doesn’t He just raise up more workers? Evangelism is something God has delegated to His followers – if they believe in it, they’ll tell others about it. You may not have, but I watched enough of the Wildcard playoff game last night that I will spend time today telling someone about it today…

The key is this verse are the two words, pray earnestly. To pray earnestly means to make it a priority. I confess, it has not been a priority for me. But this morning the words, make it a priority, showed up in my mind and the question now is will I obey?

Our world is evil and getting worse. Everything seems to be all messed up from what we value to issues of conscience, integrity, honor, and just plain old common sense. One casual viewing of the evening news is enough to show anyone that our world is hurtin' for certain. So what are my priorities in the face of all that? Do I whine and moan and groan about the economy and who is now the largest exporter in the world – or do I accept that the harvest Jesus spoke of is the real, true, and only priority with which I am to be concerned?

Today is the day to take Jesus at His word and pray earnestly to God for more help. More help means more converts and more converts means more help. I will quit dissing God’s priority and begin to pray earnestly for more help in the harvest.

Father in Heaven,
You are the Lord of the harvest and it is a priority to You so I will adopt it as my priority and begin to pray earnestly accordingly. Forgive me for not – I repent in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: