Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Purposes and Promises


1.13.2010

Genesis 32:12 12 But you said, ‘I will surely do you good, and make your offspring as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.’ ESV

Remembering what God said is key to strong faith. Jacob was terrified of meeting his brother Esau after all those years because Jacob knew what a putz he’d been to Esau all those many years ago; and Jacob left without even saying, “Dude, I’m sorry.” How long are grudges supposed to last anyway?

But God said to Jacob, “I will surely do you good and make your offspring as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.” That was a promise Jacob could take to the bank when he heard Esau was on his way with 400 heavily armed bikers on Harley camels.

There are at two lessons for me this morning:
1. There are incredibly painful and scary issues in life because of the damage I have caused.
2. God’s purposes and promises to me are irrevocable despite the damage left in my wake or the uninvited threats in my face.

To call God’s promises to my mind like Jacob did is to surrender control to Him over the situation no matter how desperate it looks or feels. Faith grows by leaps and bounds when I do that. And instead of wallowing in pity I find myself floating peacefully along in the gentle waters of joy! It takes courage to remind God what He’s said but it is courage for me to leave the outcome in His loving and merciful care. That’s what I’m gonna do…

Father God,
What You say is true and trustworthy. May I honor You by believing and keeping what You say no matter how many Hell’s Angels ride up in my life because of what I’ve done or because they want me to believe in You less. God help me, You said You would – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: