Friday, January 15, 2010

God Never Forgets


1.15.2010

Luke 15:13 13 Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. ESV

What sort of expression do you suppose was on the face of the father in this story in Luke 15, the day the younger son loaded up his truck and he moved to Beverly – Hills that is, swimmin’ pools; movie stars…? Was he smiling or sad; was he eager or remorseful? Did anything change in the relationship between him and his son?

I realized in reading this story that the father never forgot who the son was and the father never ceased to consider the son any differently than who he was. The son’s sins were all self-inflicted and yet the father never seemed to notice and never thought of his child any differently than he always was; his son.

God never sees His children any other than what they are: His children. I know that is hard for some to believe – those suffering from the consequences of self-inflicted sins or those who cannot fully embrace God’s leadership in our lives; He is either in complete control and unfazed by our choices or He’s not. If He’s not, He’s not God. If He is, He knows and uses our choices to affect righteousness in our lives – God is not absent in the parable of the lost son…

This story and its truth build my faith and increase my trust in God who deals with the self-inflicted. This helps me to deal with my own children differently and to let (to a degree) whatever happens happen. God never changes His mind about me and has proven over and over that He is for me for my success in living the redeemed life He has promised and purposed. Praise His Name!

Father in Heaven,
You love me despite the mistakes I make and You use those mistakes to teach me, mold me, and help me. Thank You. Thank You that I am, and always will be, Your child and that You are working out Your plan and purpose through Jesus Christ in me every moment of every day. Amen.

No comments: