Sunday, January 3, 2010

Vulnerable God


1.3.2010

Genesis 6:16 16 Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above, and set the door of the ark in its side. Make it with lower, second, and third decks. ESV

Noah surely possessed some measure of skill; he built the ark to God’s specifications. Not only did he build it, but he got on board and the thing floated. Not only did it float, but it remained afloat for six months or so. And not only did it remain afloat, it held an enormous cargo and 8 humans; and as far as we know no one got bitten by a poisonous lizard, snake, or spider…

I marvel at God’s volitional vulnerability. I never cease to be amazed at what God does and by whose hands He does it – mankind; people like you and me. God is the consummate Risk-Taker. He risked it all by creating creation in the first place and then turning man loose with only this prohibition: “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (Ge 2:16-17 ESV)

What big thing are we facing this day? We are dealing with the same vulnerable God who said, “Make yourself an ark…”

I am encouraged to go into the fray this day knowing that God has sent me, and I’m to rely on Him to help me get through whatever it is I’m going through. Noah’s ark could’ve fallen apart on its maiden voyage; it could’ve capsized at sea; the animals could’ve eaten Noah and his family – but they didn’t and nothing bad happened because God was in charge and Noah was obedient.

Today vulnerable God is in charge of my life and I will vulnerably obey Him.

Father God,
You know all and see all and have planned for all; and for some of it You have called me. Help me to walk as directed and to obey as commanded in order to watch You come to my rescue as promised, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: