Sunday, January 24, 2010

Proper Attire


1.24.2010

Luke 24:49 49 “And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.” ESV

There is no sense going into the battle naked. There is no sense in believing one way and acting another. Jesus’ promise to the disciples is the proper attire of power in order to convince them of the presence of God; and to convict those who don’t believe, of the foolishness of not seeing that God is such a big deal. Many believers this day act as if they are naked because they don't recognize they are clothed with power from on high.

In the discussion of power we might think Jesus was talking only of miracles because miracles certainly get people’s attention. But the power we need to display is that of complete devotion to God and complete obedience to His every command. Jesus said, “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:35; we must have power from on high in order to love. Paul said we must submit to the authorities (Romans 13.1); we must have power from on high to submit. The great commission was go into all the world and preach the gospel, making disciples of all men and teaching them to obey the commands of the Lord; that doesn’t happen without power from on high.

According to what I read, I am clothed with Power from on high – my life and my body are both residence and temple of God, the Holy Spirit (John 14.16,17; 1 Corinthians 6.19). Therefore I am not to act like an emperor with new clothes; I am to conduct myself as cooperating with the Holy Spirit who clothes me with the power I need from on high to live an effective and productive life for Christ and the Kingdom of God.

Father in Heaven,
You never intended (or intend) for me to wing it or go it alone. You have not summoned me to believe and then not given me the resources to do so; You have clothed me (and every believer) with power from on high. Men need to be convicted and convinced and that isn’t accomplished through façades – may I walk according to Your ways this day and because of the proper attire from on high, may my life be effective and productive for the Kingdom of Christ – I pray in His Name, amen.