Monday, January 25, 2010

Speak Up


1.25.2010

Acts 1:8 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” ESV

So much to do, so little time, and so little power to get it all done – I think that’s the attitude of most people. We humans are inherently accomplishers and doers. But most people long for more power. Like a car that runs poorly, they long to step on the gas-pedal of life and roar off into the next project or conquest; but what they lack is power.

Power is currency among humans and the more one has the more one can do and the more one can control – and that’s the brass ring: control. God however is not a power-broker; He doesn’t give control to the highest bidder; but He gives His power to those who will wait for Him and will do His bidding. And what is that? It’s to live a life of witnessing to His goodness and salvation throughout the earth wherever one happens to be when the Holy Spirit comes upon them. God’s power is for witnesses who will testify of His goodness and mercy, and with that power live a life that matches their testimony. Jesus didn’t call them to anything else except testify to the truth of Who He is and what He’s done.

What power I have, is measured in how much I testify and how I live. If I live to seek God and speak His truth, I am Holy Spirit empowered. If I live to serve my own needs and control others then I am dealing in worldliness and my agenda becomes more important than God’s. God’s power and grace are given to me to seek and to speak: to seek Him for direction and to speak up for His truth.

Father God,
You have measured out power to those who will seek You and speak Your truth. I pray for the Holy Spirit to have His way in my life this day that my words may be godly and my actions may match them. I bow in submission to You – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: