Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Catching and Convincing


1.5.2010

Luke 5:10 10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” ESV

What kind of skill does one have to possess to catch men? Probably the easiest way is to offer them something they don’t have. But like fish, men need to be shown they don’t have it and many men think they do have it. So it requires patience and skill to catch them. Fish need to be baited, men need to be convinced.

The word today reminds me of what it is I’m to be about; I’m to live the kind of life that attracts and speak the words that convince. Jesus has a heart not just for some but for all and commands His disciples to live lives of attraction and convincement. (Wow, spell-check took the bait!)

I’m called as Peter was called, as we all are called – to represent the Lord in all we do and to remember that our lives serve a purpose to attract others to Christ and to convince them of the truth.

Father in Heaven,
You created me to be about the business of catching men. Like fish, they don’t want to be caught, but You offer something so grand that once they are convinced they become men catchers themselves. Help me this day to live to catch and convince I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: