Saturday, January 2, 2010

Mary’s Defense


1.2.2010

Luke 2:51 51 And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.
ESV

During the brief moments of time that Mary had been given insider information it helped her to get her perspective as to what was going on with her and with her Son.

Think about it:
An unwed Jewish girl is told by God she’s going to give birth to the Messiah
A brand new mom with her hours old child are greeted with an angelic multitude
A caravan of kings from somewhere show up and shower the child with gifts and blessings
After 8 days this mom presents her child at the temple and is targeted by not one, but two well-known prophets who proclaim amazing things about the baby
When He is twelve, the boy decides He’s to school the teachers of the law and the chief priests at the temple and 4 days later his parents finally find him
The boy is submissive

The Scripture says, “And [Mary] treasured all these things in her heart.” It was her defense against things that were too hard for her to understand. It was her defense when life served her up bitterness and difficulty. It was her defense when she saw and felt the oppression of the Roman government. It was her defense when she was frustrated with her other children, and living in Nazareth, and when she heard others murmuring about her when she walked by.

What do we treasure in our hearts? What do we hold near and dear so that when the abrasive and hurtful parts of life press in to rob us of our joy? Mary treasured all of her thoughts and experiences of Jesus; how about us?

Father in Heaven,
I have not been in Mary’s shoes but I have worn my own and in the toughest parts of my life I have gotten better about what I use to defend myself against what seems senseless, frustrating, and hurtful to me – I treasure You. You are my Hiding Place and my Strong Tower. When I am afraid, I will trust in You. Even in the toughest moments I now can say, the Lord is with me; I may not like what I’m going through, but the Lord is with me and in His Name I will exult! Amen.

No comments: