Monday, January 4, 2010

To Pick up the Pieces


1.4.2010

Luke 4:12 12 And Jesus answered him, “It is said, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’ ” ESV

As I reflected upon these words today I thought they could be said this way, “You shall not leave the Lord to pick up the pieces.”

The devil dared Jesus to fling Himself off of the pinnacle of the Temple and trust God to catch Him. The ploy was, ‘the Bible says…’ The Bible says a lot of things but we are to be Spirit led as we discern what the Bible actually says to do. And we are never to put God in a place where He has to come as a Servant-Boy to pick up the broken pieces of our foolishness.

That’s not to say God doesn’t and God won’t; it means that we are not to set out to put God into such a position – the results, the consequences of such actions are disastrous.

Yes, God is repairing the broken pieces of my life, but I am the one who is doing the picking up not Him. And I am the one who is learning just how stupid, stupid can be. I am the one who has to live with the consequences of the decisions I have made, not God.

Putting God to the test is callous, harmful, and foolish, and God’s servants are not to treat Him that way. And we do it all the time. I am to live considering my actions and the current state of my affairs (where I am because my choices.) I am to humbly seek God knowing He is rich in mercy and wisdom but knowing He is under no obligation to fix any of the messes I’ve made. So I will trust Him that in whatever condition I find myself because of my own doing, that God will use me in that condition but I have to leave whatever remedy He has to Him. “Cast all your cares upon Him because He cares for you…” (1 Peter5.7) (and knows the damage you’ve done…)

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for loving me despite every time I have, do, and will, put You to the test. Help me to stop doing that I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

1 comment:

ken said...

This is a good word for me today. I have decisions I am struggling with recently, and this concept is the point of my struggle. Do I go in this direction, knowing that the Lord will catch me - or is going in this direction forcing His hand into catching me because I was stupid once again. Good ponderous words.