Tuesday, January 25, 2011

With God it’s Personal

1.25.2011

Exodus 13:8 8 On that day tell your son, ‘I do this because of what the Lord did for me when I came out of Egypt.’ NIV

I can imagine millions of Egyptians saying something like, “This is what their God did to me.” But the Israelites were commanded to make it personal – “…what the Lord did for me…”. With God it’s always personal whether it’s salvation or even judgment. God deals with individuals.

The Israelites were to make their relationship God with personal and assume personal responsibility for their lives. That was God’s intent from the first day Adam and Eve walked in the garden – love God on a personal level. But it wasn’t to stop with them, they were to pass it along to their children so that they could make it personal as well. God is big enough to care for all nations, every jurisdiction, every city, every street, every house, every family and every person. That’s just Who He is.

We tend to think the Old Testament is more impersonal because of the Law, the history, and the culture – but God never intended that to be. And here in the early chapters of antiquity He commands them through their pastor, Moses, “On that day tell your son, “I do this because of what the Lord did for me when I cam out of Egypt.’”

Maybe it’s time I started personalizing my relationship with God to my own children. Maybe that is what they need to hear from me - my God is personal and my relationship with Him is as well. I need to tell them that I live why I live because of what the Lord did for me and then live out my life before them accordingly. It surely couldn’t hurt…

Father in Heaven,
With You it’s always personal. Thank You for what You’ve done for me and that You’ve led me out of “Egypt” as well into a ‘Promised Land’ of relationship with You. Father, I pray for grace to tell my kids the truth and I pray for their souls – because of what You did for me… Amen.

No comments: