Wednesday, January 26, 2011

But for One Thing

1.26.2011

Exodus 14:4 4 And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and he will pursue them. But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord.” So the Israelites did this. NIV

One might think the Lord mean-spirited for hardening Pharaoh’s heart and gaining glory for Himself through Pharaoh but for one thing: the Lord is never mean. There isn’t a mean part to Him at all. The Lord doesn’t need to grow up. The Lord is never petty or cruel. He will make His point, and from our perspective, it may seem petty or cruel; but that’s only because we don’t know any better.

God gave Pharaoh and the people of Egypt many chances to get their act together – but they refused. God didn’t make them refuse, like us, they did it all on their own. God loved (and still loves) the people of Egypt and desired for them to come to know Him in truth. It was their choice to refuse Him. God also desired for the people of Israel to come to know Him in truth – but they too (as the story continues) had a very hard time accepting Him for Who He was and giving Him glory.

God gains glory for Himself because He says what He means; and means what He says (another thing that is lost on us…). And God follows through on what He says. We interpret the way God acts as cruel and petty because we expect Him to say one thing and mean another, or to say one thing and do another – especially when it comes to the way He treats us as individuals. And because He does, we deem God unacceptable because He won’t kowtow to our demands.

Today, I have a choice because God will gain glory for Himself through me whether I act in godliness or carry on in the flesh. Whatever I do, God is right. And I will know one way or the other, that He is the Lord. The choice is mine.

Father in Heaven,
That You would gain glory through someone like me is an amazing and awesome thought; it isn’t for my glory but for Yours. I ask for courage and strength today to walk in a manner that pleases You, that I may be a witness to others of Your glory and presence – through Jesus, amen.

No comments: