Sunday, January 23, 2011

Distinction

1.23.2011

Exodus 8:23 23 I will make a distinction between my people and your people. This miraculous sign will occur tomorrow. NIV

Tomorrow…God told Moses to tell Pharaoh, I will make a distinction between My people and your people. That’s the difference – God makes the difference and it should be obvious in the eyes of others.

Are God’s people today any different from those who aren’t? Are Christians more committed to marriage? Are Christians more devoted to gathering together? Are Christians (as a whole) more helpful, loving, serving than those who don’t name the Name? What makes us distinct from their people?

In the last generation we in the Church have done our best to show their people that we’re not so different – therefore we ought to be more acceptable because we really aren’t all that different. And so with that mentality we have maybe – just maybe – lost our distinction and the reality is, we really aren’t that different. God decided not to inflict the Israelites with the plagues to show them, the Egyptians, that they, Israel, had His favor. But they were as hard-hearted as the Egyptians. What really made them distinct?

Only God.

Only God made them distinct and only God continues to make us distinct today. But there should be some evidence of God’s distinctive presence in our lives – shouldn’t there? What will happen in your life and mine today (and tomorrow) that will show those who am ain’ts, that we, is God’s saints?

Father in Heaven,
You make the difference in my life as I spend time with You and ever acknowledge your presence in all situations and circumstances. I don’t need to prove myself to the world to be just a regular Joe; but to be a distinctive child of the Living God because You are the Only Focus of my everyday living. Help me to live like this I pray, amen.

No comments: