Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Whole Lotta Difference

1.16.2011

Genesis 41:44 44 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I am Pharaoh, but without your word no one will lift hand or foot in all Egypt.” NIV

Talk about a promotion! I wonder what Potiphar thought when Joseph rolled up to the palace in his brand new 2011(BC) Lexus chariot? From Potiphar to prison to palace, Joseph was making waves in Egypt; new authority, new job, new name, new wife, and two adorable sons: Fageddaboudit (Manasseh) and Landohplenie (Ephraim)! Wow! The only thing missing was the white Samoyed. (I hear apes were all the craze in those days…)

But not all of this was just winning the Publisher’s Clearing House sweepstakes or the Lotto because Joseph also sweated, suffered, and sat. And he spent two full years (emphasis on the word full) waiting for something that appeared to be far, far away – his freedom and his vindication. But God hadn’t forgotten about him and I’m sure Joseph because of his outlook and worldview decided to keep an upbeat attitude about it all; Joseph kept being put in charge of it all.

Who I am and how I respond makes a whole lotta difference what happens to me. I’m not saying I’m gonna have a Joseph-moment, but I am saying that there’s a lot to be said about having a positive outlook and an upbeat attitude – God seems to use people who have those things. And it can’t be an act because the sweating, suffering, and sitting will show that for what it is: an act. I think perhaps that is why some of my circumstances are what they are – so that I'll quit acting and pretending about the future, and start adjusting to the leadership of God right now.

Father in Heaven,
Your word says You oppose the proud but give grace to the humble. May I humble myself under Your leadership wherever it takes me that I may look with eager expectation to Your grace in every situation – through Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: