Monday, January 10, 2011

The Will of God and a Bowl of Stew

1.10.2011

Genesis 25:23 23 The Lord said to her, “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger.” NIV

Here it is again, that counterintuitive thing – with God does it ever stop? (The answer is no.) Two peoples will be separated, one will be stronger; and the older will serve the younger. That just doesn’t happen! But it did, and it all came about as a result of the will of God and a bowl of stew.

What would’ve happened had Esau honored God and his parents? What would’ve happened had Esau done the respectable thing? I think God would’ve honored him but even so, Jacob was God’s choice. That doesn’t mean Esau was bad; it just means that before the twins were born, God already had chosen and the one He chose wasn’t according to the ways of the world and culture. God does what God does. Esau chose what Esau chose.

Again we see the effect of one’s present sin on future generations. And really, it goes for both Esau and Jacob; Jacob had his own issues that needed to be dealt with. Makes me wonder what my present actions do to the future generations of my own…

The bottom line for me is to believe God and trust in His choice – whatever He chooses. And sometimes trusting God is counterintuitive to my feeble little mind.

Father in Heaven,
You are the One who chooses, and Your will is always accomplished accordingly. May I trust You despite the fact that I tend to want to make my own choices and resolve things my own way. May I remember the devastating choice of a bowl of stew, and live my King to honor You; help me God, Amen.

No comments: