Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Only One Thing

1.18.2011

Luke 18:40-41 When he came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” “Lord, I want to see,” he replied. NIV

God does things to people. Joseph said, “So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God.” (Ge 45:8) Joseph’s brothers were blown away that Joseph was still alive and the ruler of all Egypt under Pharaoh. They were terrified as well. But God put Joseph, the former obnoxious spoiled brat, just where He wanted him and when the ‘economy’ went south, God made sure Jacob would survive and be encouraged.

God does things through people. Joseph then said, “Now hurry back to my father and say to him, ‘This is what your son Joseph says: God has made me lord of all Egypt. Come down to me; don’t delay. You shall live in the region of Goshen and be near me—you, your children and grandchildren, your flocks and herds, and all you have. I will provide for you there, because five years of famine are still to come. Otherwise you and your household and all who belong to you will become destitute.’ (Ge 45:9-11) Jacob in his old age was to be cared for by God, through his own son.

And God does things for people: Jesus asked the blind beggar, “What do you want me to do for you?” The beggar really wanted to see – I think he thought seeing would be the resolution of the rest of all his problems; he wouldn’t have to beg anymore, he could do something useful with his life.

As I thought about this, I wonder how many of us could answer Jesus’ question, ‘What do you want Me to do for you?’ I wonder how many of us could sum it up like the blind man did, and be honest enough and transparent enough to be satisfied with that one thing? The blind man didn’t give Jesus a list, he shared with the Lord only one thing: “Lord, I want to see.”

Father in Heaven,
You know that I always come with a laundry list of items that I think I need. What’s funny (in a sad sort of way) is that most of the stuff I ask for, You’ve either already provided, or already promised. I ask today that You help me to identify that one thing I need in my life and to trust You for it; through Jesus, amen.

No comments: