Saturday, January 1, 2011

Circumstances and a Burdened Heart

1.1.2011

Luke 1:13 13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. New International Version

Like many, today I am thinking about what lies ahead for 2011. I think there’s right way to approach the New Year and that way, is to be open to God for whatever He reveals for the coming days. God revealed to Zechariah, that he was going to become a father and that all the years of embarrassment were going to come to an end. Zechariah initially failed the faith test (v. 20) but bounces back (v. 62).

Today, I am reminded that circumstances and a burdened heart cause prayer – at least they ought to. What Gabriel said to Zechariah was, “…your prayer has been heard.” It is comforting to me to know that God hears and listens to our prayers. Sometimes, the burden is lifted and we know that our prayer has been answered with a ‘yes’. Sometimes the burden is intensified and we know that more prayer (steadfast, faithful, enduring) is needed.

My heart is being softened by my circumstances and my prayers are being loosed for the things that weigh me down. But my praise is also being called forth for prayer without praise is not as effective me thinks.

Father in Heaven,
You are the Only and Awesome God and You hear and answer the prayers of Your people. You deserve my praise as well – for You do all things well. Thank You for my circumstances and my burdens – they are my constant reminders that I need You – amen.

No comments: