Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Come to Jesus Moment

1.11.2011

Genesis 28:20-22 20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear 21 so that I return safely to my father’s house, then the Lord will be my God 22 and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.” NIV

Jacob had a come to Jesus moment; he came to Jesus. When Jacob said, then the Lord will be my God; that was the same then, as accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior now.

Before this, the Lord had been his father’s God (cf. Genesis 27.20). Both Jacob and Esau witnessed their father’s faith. Jacob decided that he needed God and Esau decided he would handle things his own way. The over arching story of firstborn and blessing and birthright only make the story more complicated. But God spoke to Rebekah and said, “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger.” (Genesis 25:23) If Isaac heard this, then he must’ve assumed something else was to happen because he determined to bless Esau first… God had other plans.

Something happens when we choose God. Something happens when the Lord [becomes] my God. Interestingly, Jacob vowed to tithe. I’m sure he saw his father doing the same and I’m sure Isaac saw his father, Abraham do the same. Something happens when the Lord becomes my God…

Father in Heaven,
You caused me to be born when I was to, who I was, and where they were. You led me to that place where I saw my needs were too great for me to handle by myself; and You became my God. May my life be used by You to help others come to that place as well. May I be a testimony of living faith to my daughter and my sons; and my grandchildren (whenever that happens). Bless me I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: