Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Ballad of Er and Onan

1.15.2011

Genesis 38:10 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so [He] put him to death also. NIV

Call God what you will, but He’s never vindictive or mean; He’s always right. Genesis 38 is kind of a push-the-pause-button chapter in the midst of the narrative about Joseph. Genesis 38 is about Judah, the fourth son of Jacob, and his dealings with his daughter-in-law named Tamar whom he’s neglected.

At this point in our reading of Genesis it’s apparent that there was some kind of legal structure in Canaan, the land where Jacob and his family lived. Judah’s son Er (I pronounce it err like ‘error’) from the account, is very wicked so God executes him. Through the social structure it appears that Er’s brother Onan is supposed to marry Er’s wife Tamar, and continue the name of his dead brother through her. Onan schemes against this and God executes him as well.

Whatever we think about this lone chapter, let’s remember this: above and beyond all of the scheming and dreaming of men is the Lord God whose plans and purposes will prevail upon the earth (Proverbs 19.21). Tamar, if we remember, is mentioned in the genealogy of Christ (cf. Matthew 1). Whatever we think about Er and Onan, it’s for sure that they somehow willfully stepped in front of the fast rolling freight-train of God’s will and purpose; and like Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5, did so at their own peril.

Whatever I think I’m up to, I must remember that the Lord’s plans and purposes will always prevail above my own. Yes, I have free will, but God is never limited by my choices; and if I cannot be used to accomplish God’s will then He will find someone else by which to do so. Achieving what God wishes willingly is the optimum solution; digging in my heels in rebellion has its price. Pleasing God through faithful obedience is a big, big deal…

I cannot focus on Er and Onan and the consequences of their living – I must concentrate on the outcome of the whole story and remember that Tamar is listed in the ancestry of our Lord; and that through Judah, Er’s dad, the legacy continued.

Father in Heaven,
Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Your purpose that prevails. I pray that I remember that. This world is not about me but my own story will include my relationship with You and how I related to Your presence in my life. All I can say is, help me Lord! Through Jesus I pray, amen.

No comments: