Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Worst That Can Happen

1.8.2011

Luke 8:24-25 24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 “Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. NIV

A remarkable account to say the least; but let’s be careful not to miss the bigger picture – “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” Jesus, Jesus, I’m going to get fired! O my God! I’ve got cancer and I’m going to die! Lord, Lord, my house is in foreclosure and I’m going to be homeless!

What happens when Jesus doesn’t rebuke the wind and the raging waters? What happens when we get fired? How does it work out when we’re diagnosed with some illness? Who’s really in charge here? I was thinking at work today about those who hate God or blame Him for inaction when they don’t get their way. Master, Master, we’re going to drown! And You can't be You if You don't come through! For me...

If Jesus truly is Master, Master, then what do we care that we drown? (Oh, Paul, c’mon man, I don’t want to die!) Well presently, neither do I, but what’s the worst that can happen if I do – I get to go to heaven where my worst day there will be infinitely better than my greatest day here? What’s wrong with that? The bigger picture is the futility of me trying to control my own destiny and in fear, proclaiming something that isn’t true (we’re going to drown! Oh! They didn’t. Hmmm…)

If Jesus is the Lord of all, then He is the Lord over every situation I find myself in the midst of. What’s a little storm – or even a great big one – if Jesus is there with me? It’s no wonder He asked the disciples, Where is your faith? Where is my faith? In me? I’m in deep weeds if it is… If He’s not Lord of all then He’s not Lord a't'all.

Jesus,
I know You are honored when I cry out to You. I know You care about me even when my faith grows microscopic. Lord, what is the worst that can happen? Forgive me for small faith and knee-jerk prayers. Thank You for always being near and for all the solutions You bring to every one of my hang-nail issues… Whatever the outcome, I am blessed because You are! Amen.

1 comment:

Bo Stern said...

Paul, this is great! I can say with such certainty (as can you!) that He IS there in the storm and through the storm and He is more than enough. Thanks so much.

Bo