Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Oh-No Moment

1.2.2011

Genesis 3:7 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. NIV

I think there are two kinds of major moments: the ah-hah moment; and the oh-no moment. Adam and Eve suffered a major oh-no moment when they realized they were naked and their covering, their peace, their joy, their comfort; was irretrievably gone.

Up to this point they had enjoyed the favor and grace of the Lord and in innocence hadn’t a clue. But once they disobeyed the covering – the blessing of the Lord – vanished, and they saw the oh-no of their disobedience. It is one thing to realize you are right; it’s quite another to realize you were wrong all along.

Our first parents came to the realization that they were naked and it embarrassed them. Up to this point they had enjoyed God’s covering but now it was gone and the first thing they tried to do was to get it back – and they couldn’t; you can’t unscramble an egg. It's like wrecking dad's new car...

Life is a delicate balance of ah-hah’s and oh-no’s; of trial and error. The greatest ah-hah is that God is right and I need Him; and the way to be right and stay right is to believe Him and follow Him. The greatest oh-no is to neglect God and wake up one day realizing you are naked; it’s just you and the world and the world is winning.

Today, I see disobedience another way and now I’m responsible for what I know. For me, today’s reading was an ah-hah moment that showed me vividly the on-no of on-no’s. I am grateful for God’s covering in Jesus Christ. And I realize that every time I disobey, I’ll stand naked in my foolishness and sin until I resolve my sin with my God, and once again accept His covering of love.

Father in Heaven,
You created me to live a life of ah-hah’s and for that I am thankful. Seeing the terror in Adam and Eve when they realized, ‘Oh-no!’; Father, I just don’t want that. Help me to obey and to stay under Your covering; I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: