Friday, July 17, 2009

View and Value


7/17/2009

James 1:2-3 2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.
New American Standard Bible

What a masterful statement by James – the half-brother of Jesus and a former unbeliever (see John 7.5). James understood what effect trials and pains have (and are supposed to have) upon us as children of God: they produce faith, patience and repentance. A favorite and familiar verse in Romans says, “…God causes all things to work together for good to those who love [Him], to those who are called according to His purpose.” (8.28)

In other words, if God is in control then He’s not using trials and difficulty to punish us but to change us; change in the heart of a believer is a good thing because, James says, it produces endurance; endurance is a key element in the Abundant Life (John 10.10) and in the process of salvation (1 Peter 1.9).

I am learning to view and value my life’s circumstances, whether good or bad; whether people, places, or things, as gifts in my life from God that are specifically there to produce in me patience and increased faith. I am striving to look past my pain in whatever form it takes and look to the promise of endurance with all the glory it brings… So I’m endeavoring to relax and smile when the crap hits the fan and life doesn’t go the way I want - trusting that God is using whatever I go through for my good; and I get endurance as a reward!

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for every good and perfect gift You give me that is producing increased faith and endurance – I give You praise in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: