Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Returning the Favor


7/15/2009

Hebrews 12:28 28 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; New American Standard Bible

The Apostle Paul once wrote, “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual (rational) service of worship.” (Romans 12.1) Here in Hebrews 12 the writer shares the same encouragement, “…since we receive… let us show gratitude by…service with reverence and awe.” It’s the least we can do for all God has done for us and that for which we are conscious.

Every time I am full of praise and thanksgiving for something God has done for me ought to be the precursor for when I offer myself to God for service of some sort. His kindness and goodness ought to spring me into action in the Kingdom. It may be through prayer and intercession; it may be through a kind word to someone. It may be through some kind of action (and attitude) that shows His kindness and goodness are having such an effect upon me that I show my thanks to Him by serving Him. Jesus said, “If you obey My commands, you will remain in my love…” Obedience implies action and action implies service and service implies attitude and attitude implies gratitude. The way to return the favor to God is to obey.

Father in Heaven,
You have done so much for me; it’s not too much that I do something for You. You have given me so much, it’s not too much for me to say “thank You!” by giving my life to serve in Your Kingdom and Your Business in the world. Since I have received so much may I show gratitude by getting off of my behind and involving myself in the lives of others for Your sake – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: