Monday, July 13, 2009

Forgiven and Forgotten


7/13/2009

Hebrews 10:18 18 Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin. New American Standard Bible

…because where sins are forgiven, they are also forgotten; and where sins are forgotten they are no longer powerful to condemn and corrupt. That’s why there is no longer any offering for sin because Jesus dealt with it by His sacrifice once for all. So what do we do when we do what we do? We repent and claim the sacrifice of Him who paid it all and we live in the freedom by which He has made us free from repeating the same stupid stuff over and over and over.

That’s why His sacrifice is so great because it cleanses completely and though we do stupid stuff we don’t remain in it because His power shows us how bad stupid stuff is; and recognizing how bad it is and how great He is, we avoid it. Simple.

When Paul said “…be transformed by the renewing of your mind…” he meant it. So, I will read and re-read and re-read until the day the Lord takes me home. And I will admit how weak and vulnerable I am; but I will also claim – as my very own – that where there is forgiveness of these things (my weakness and vulnerability) there is no longer any sacrifice for sin; I can’t do anything to fix what I break or change God’s attitude toward me…my sins are forgiven and forgotten. My home these days will be in the presence of the promises He has made and in the work that He finished on the cross. I will allow the Word of God to tell me what He's done and who I am as a result!

Father in Heaven,
You made a way because You paid my way. There is nothing I can bring to the table to assuage my guilt or atone for my crimes – You took care of it all by the blood of Christ! Increase my faith and help me to rest in what You’ve already done for me, then, now, and for all eternity – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: