Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strengthened by Grace


7/16/2009

Hebrews 13:9 9 Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited.
New American Standard Bible

“Hebrews” was written to Hebrews; God’s plan of redemption started with the Hebrews. He also extended His plan to encompass everyone, but He started with His people – the Hebrews. So this particular admonishment had special meaning because they understood what the writer – also a Hebrew – meant by pointing out the deficiency of religious laws and regulations that though they look good, accomplish no meaningful change in the heart of the ones who live by them. He says that the only way to change is by God’s unmerited favor – His grace.

Grace was never ever meant to be (as some see it) a license to live as we please; it is God’s vital ingredient for success in the life of His disciple. His grace is His favor and His favor is His seal of approval and the guarantee of His love. Grace is not the Holy Spirit but the Spirit resides in us by His grace. Grace is not Jesus Christ but grace set the stage for Jesus to offer Himself up as our Perfect Sacrifice and the Way of Atonement for us all. Religious regulations and traditions about food can never communicate this or cause us to live successfully. We must be strengthened by God’s grace.

I must be careful never to substitute any self-imposed rule or regulation in place of God’s grace to me; I am who I am and believe what I believe by His grace alone and His grace is sufficient to see me through this life to that place where I meet Him face to face.

Father in Heaven,
You grace strengthens me because it reveals the magnitude of Your love in all that You have done to secure my heart for eternity with You. I strengthen my heart this day with the knowledge of Your grace knowing that it is for the success of my life here on earth that I may rejoice with You someday in Heaven – thank You for grace! Through Jesus and by Your grace I pray, amen.

No comments: