Tuesday, July 28, 2009

But


7/28/2009

2 Peter 2:1 1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.
New American Standard Bible

Peter’s description of false teachers and their destructive heresies in this part of his letter is astounding. He removes the masks that they hide behind and exposes them for what they are – big trouble – that initially looked safe and good. Big trouble, be it in the church, in the home, in relationships, at work, or wherever, usually starts with something very small and seemingly innocent; perhaps even looking (or sounding) good…

I am called before God to be careful and to consider what it is I believe and how I got to where I believe it. The word of God is to be my Standard by which I measure my thoughts, speech and conduct. Because no matter how good I think my life is there is always the possibility of a ‘but’. That calls for a thoroughness in the inspection of my thinking and what I hold dear to make sure it is the real deal and not just some good-looking counterfeit that will lead to a ‘but’.

Father in Heaven,
You made fail-safes for Your children, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be ‘but’s’. Isaiah wrote, “no weapon that is formed against you will prosper” so we can believe it will be formed against us and for our destruction. But by clinging to You and listening carefully and quietly to You I am protected against such weapons and against the smallest seeds that grow into the biggest trouble. Peter’s words are a reminder to me to be careful and may I do so by sitting quietly at Your feet, listening to and doing everything You say – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: