Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect


7/8/2009

Hebrews 5:14 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. New American Standard Bible

I offer up my devotional thoughts each day for the edification and encouragement of others. My hope is that someone will read them and think about God. In the cacophony of daily human communication, my goal is to offer a word of help or encouragement to someone. That’s why I do what I do.

Today, I landed here in Hebrews 5 – and I saw the word, ‘practice’ and I thought about what that means. I thought about the adage, “Practice makes perfect.” And though I’m not sure what ‘practice make perfect’ means to you, I do know that it seems to fit in this verse and this verse seems to be implying there is a manner in which we are to intentionally live that by doing so, we mature and become trained.

So I look for ways to train myself by daily practice. I daily think about what I read in the Bible and I think of how it applies in/to my life and practice so that I might become trained to discern good and evil and live a godly life. Practice does make perfect according to the Word of God. As a servant/child in the Kingdom of God, practice is the least I can do.

So my word today is this: practice, practice, practice and when we’ve done all we think we can do, practice some more. Our world is an increasingly evil and difficult place to live and to have our senses trained to discern good and evil is vital to our success in living the lives God has called us to live. I hope in reading this you’re encouraged and challenged this day to practice looking at life from God’s perspective and see what it is He’s called you to…

May God richly bless your practice this day – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: