Thursday, July 30, 2009

I See You


7/30/2009

John 1:48 48 Nathanael said to Him, “How do You know me?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.” New American Standard Bible

Jesus nailed Nathanel (v. 47) and Nathanel, perhaps a little self-conscious, asked the Lord to verify His statement. Jesus responds by saying, "Before Philip came looking for you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.” I don’t think Nathanel thought anyone saw him and I think it was a private moment that only God could see. God+Jesus+see=belief… surely it meant proof that Jesus knew what He was talking about.

God is watching us. That may make some a little self-conscious and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. A little self-consciousness helps, perhaps, to clean up one’s thoughts; to reassure that God really is involved and really does care. I think Nathanel thought he was on a desert island amidst a stormy sea of Pharisee-ism, Sadducee-ism, Zealot-ism, and 'just-don’t-give-a-crap-anymore-ism'. I think Nathanel loved God and was doing his best to serve Him, but though he was a believer, life was beating him down and he wondered if all he did was for anyone’s good other than his own; and maybe that was evaporating as well.

But God did see him under that fig tree and God saw his heart and God loved him and cared for him and marvel of marvels – God revealed Himself to Nathanel. And Nathanel believed.

God sees me – as Tommy* wrote,
“He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call.”

God knows me and God cares about me. God desires that I grow in faith and that I learn to trust Him more and more. God sees me and has revealed Himself to me – not exactly as He did to Nathanel, but enough so I could believe in what He has done for me and so that, in return, I may live for Him.

Father in Heaven,
You do know me and You have called me and Your purposes will be worked out in my life; and I will follow You all the days of my life – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

*Tommy Walker
“He Knows My Name”
© 1996 Doulos Publishing Maranatha Music

No comments: