Monday, July 6, 2009

If We


7/6/2009

Hebrews 3:6 6 but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house—whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end. New American Standard Bible

We have become a self-sufficient society – we depend on ourselves. It is better to depend on yourself than to become a burden to someone else we think; and so we live our lives making decisions and trying to do the best we can with what we have. Sounds good if living life is all there is. But what happens when we discover heinous sin in our children? What happens when disease shows up uninvited and unannounced? What happens when the ruling authorities make up some regulation that is really going raise our taxes and reduce our freedom…then what? Where will our confidence be then and to what will we cling in the day of trouble?

Repeatedly the writer of Hebrews uses the words, “…if we…”. In the present verse he said, “…whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end.” “If we” – there is certainly some big personal responsibility in those two little words.

I can either depend on myself, my creativity, my reasoning, or my cleverness – or like Jesus, I can faithfully depend on God. In the uncertainty of life, I must be found on the faithful side of the equation. If I cling to God then His promise is He’ll help me and He’ll cause all things will work together for my good. But if I choose to ignore Him, then I’ll have to tough it out on my own – well, how’s that workin’ for ya, Paul?

Father in Heaven,
As Jesus was faithful over Your house, You are merciful over Your house. But You expect those who make up Your house to live lives of faithfulness and fruitfulness as they listen to and obey You; self-sufficiency is sin and arrogance. Father, may I surrender to You more and more and lean not on my own understanding. May I in all my ways, acknowledge You that You may direct my paths to the perfect accomplishment of Your will for my life – I pray in Christ’s Name: Faithful, amen.

No comments: