Saturday, July 4, 2009

I Am Your Son


7/4/2009

2 Kings 16:7 7 So Ahaz sent messengers to Tiglath-pileser king of Assyria, saying, “I am your servant and your son; come up and deliver me from the hand of the king of Aram and from the hand of the king of Israel, who are rising up against me.” New American Standard Bible

Sons have always been a big, big deal in the narrative of the Scripture. To have a son was a tremendous blessing and to be the firstborn son in a family was equally a blessing and a big deal. So to have the king of one country say “I am your son” to another king of another was no small statement. And what makes it really a big deal was for one of God’s kings to say that to a pagan king. Talk about dis!

In the book of Hebrews we are told Who God’s Son is: “…in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.” (Hebrews 1.2) And in the book of Hosea we are told who God’s sons are: “It will be said to them, “You are the sons of the living God.” (Hosea 1.10) Sons are a big deal and God wants a great big family.

Paul then makes this massive statement in Galatians 3: For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.” (Vv. 26-29)

So to be a son is a big, big deal and to claim your son-ship to merely a man or a system is very stupid and short-sighted. I will claim today in front of God and everyone: I am God’s son! I believe what Paul wrote about son-ship and I am God’s son according to faith in Jesus Christ; for I have been baptized into Christ and am clothed with Him and I belong to Him – that makes me God’s son!

Father in Heaven,
You are Father because You have a Son and through Him many sons; and I am one of them through Your Son, Jesus Christ. I will walk as a son and live as a son in You this day and I proclaim my dependence upon You as a son in the Family of God. May Your blessing be upon all Your ‘sons’, male or female, Jew or Greek and may we accomplish the reality of life with You by living life in You – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: