Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Influence of Affluence


7/7/2009

Hebrews 4:11 11 Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.
New American Standard Bible

Hosea 10.1 begins by describing the affluence and prosperity of Ephraim (a tribe of Israel representing the 10 tribes of the northern kingdom). Hosea 10.2, states flatly they were faithless; their prosperity led them away from God. I cannot help but see the parallels in our day; affluence and prosperity have influenced how the modern church thinks about God and how she views her salvation.

So when the writer of Hebrews states, “Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.” he’s telling us to remember Israel’s sad history and not repeat it.

I am called to be diligent in my walk with the Lord. I am to be diligent in seeking Him alone and avoiding the pull of the world. Material ‘blessing’ can be a very dangerous thing to many – including me. The ‘rest’ spoken of here is relationship with God that results in salvation and eternal life and I must be diligent in seeking that. Like Asaph in Psalm 73, I must be intentionally careful to guard against envying those who have lots of stuff (and trying to be like them); and diligently keep my life-focus on worshiping God and seeking Him. Then I experience His rest…

Father in Heaven,
The prayer You gave Asaph is mine today:

“Whom have I in heaven but You? Besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You. But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, That I may tell of all Your works.” May it be so, in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: