Friday, July 23, 2010

What He Promises

7.23.2010

2 Kings 20:9 9 And Isaiah said, “This shall be the sign to you from the Lord, that the Lord will do the thing that he has promised: shall the shadow go forward ten steps, or go back ten steps?”

Sometimes there is no substitute for a thoughtful, unhurried read in God’s word; it’s remarkable the things one sees when one does. Okay Paul, what did you see? Well now that you’ve asked…

First, Hezekiah in my mind was, The Praying King. He walked in the ways of the Lord and honored Him to the best of his ability; and Hezekiah prayed. I think this is why God was so pleased with him; Hezekiah set his heart to be obedient and to lead his nation to do the same.

Second, when Hezekiah prayed, stuff happened. He prayed and God turned back the Assyrians and punished them for hasseling His people. And because Hezekiah (apparently) prayed publicly God responded heroicly; and in return honored His chosen leader abundantly.

Third, and here is what is important among all the other things in Hezekiah’s life and leadership: This shall be the sign to you from the Lord, that the Lord will do the thing He has promised… you choose the sign! I figure it took about thirty to forty-five minutes for the sun to go backwards 10 steps that day. I figure there were others who witnessed this and I figure the sign was not just the orbit of the earth, but that God healed Hezekiah and allowed him to reign another fifteen years. God always does what He promises for the sake of His people.

I am called to be a praying leader like Hezekiah. I am called to walk in holiness and do good like he did. I am called to trust God in seasons of severtiy like he did and trust that God’s sign to me is that He will do as He has promised in His word. (I can just imagine what was going through Hezekiah’s mind as he watched the shadows reverse!)

Father in Heaven,
You always do what You promise. You always come through for Your people. Help me today to take this truth and let it be the anchor of my soul and let it be the sign to me of Your love, Your truth, Your righteousness, Your faithfulness, and Your presence – in Christ’s Name, amen.

No comments: