Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Dominion of Whores


7.4.2010

Hosea 1:2 2 "Go, take to yourself a wife of whoredom and have children of whoredom, for the land commits great whoredom by forsaking the Lord.” ESV

What does a godly man do when God orders him to do something so culturally and socially unacceptable? Well, by virtue of the fact that he’s a man of God, he does; he obeys. When I read this today I thought to myself, “God commanded Hosea to take a wife from the dominion of whores; for surely whoredom is the domain where whores are.” Dominion is such a big word.

Throughout the Bible we repeatedly see the people of God giving themselves over to false worship and false gods. And everytime they do, God is insulted and they suffer tremendously for it. And every time they do, after all He’s done for them, they forsake Him and run after their selfish cravings, ravings, and depravings. Their acts were as dispicable as becoming prostitutes; living so to speak, in the dominion of whores. BTW: whoredom is the epitome of dirty, impure, immoral, and diseased desperation to have it our own way. It is like a marriage all in white exchanged for the filth of raw sewage. And Hosea, by obedience to God, became the sermon illustration that God was making to His people.

First, I ask myself, what would I do? Then, I quickly rejoice that I wasn’t asked to do what Hosea was asked to do. Then, I examine my life and take a serious look at where I might be a-whoring in some innocuous looking and subtle way perhaps because of my culture, my citizenship or something like that. And then I realize that unless my allegiance in all I do, say, and think is to God then I’m exchanging God for something else and wind up with the moral and spiritual equivalence of filth, impurity, immorality, and diseased desperation of having it my own way.

Father in Heaven,
You know all and You know my heart. Please show me where I am exchanging Your goodness, glory and presence for the dominion of whores. Cleanse me and help me I pray – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: