Saturday, July 24, 2010

Obvious Hope


7.24.2010

1 Peter 3:15 15 but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; ESV

The reason they ask is because it's obvious… that we are either lunatics and insane, or we are people of substance. Hope should be more than wishful thinking; it ought to be the engine of how we conduct our living.

Consider the hopeless – he has nothing to look forward to except another day of the same tasteless gruel of his life. He sees no future and every new day is the same as the last one and someday somehow it will all end but he has no idea how, or when, or most importantly, why.

The hopeful on the other hand, live life abundantly in response to God’s multiplied and magnificent promises; they are enabled to enjoy His presence not only for the present but His promises for the future. And that should be obvious. When everyone else is crapping their pants over the current crisis the hopeful ought to be cool as the underside of the pillow; unshaken by the momentary madness. That ought to get some attention.

So, I need to make up my mind and practice the presence of God by Whom, through Whom, and for Whom are all things always. I need to remember my Savior and trust Him unswervingly when the situation is critical and others are falling apart because of fear and frustration. My hope in the leadership and faithfulness of God ought to cause me to be so relaxed that others cannot understand it or stand it – they have to ask, “What’s up with you!?”

Father in Heaven,
You are in control – how long 'til I learn that, and live it. By Your Spirit, help me not to get worked up over the national debt, or who overtakes us, or if I’m employed or not – God may I live in Your presesnce every moment and trust in Your leadership to see me through every tomorrow. Yours is the power and the glory forever and ever – amen.

No comments: