Thursday, July 29, 2010

Attend to the Shadows
7.29.2010

2 Peter 3:14 14 Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.

As I read the Jesuits at Sacred Space, I have been reminded over and over how important it is to attend to the shadows in my life. While it is true that the light of Jesus Christ shines from heaven by His Spirit into my being; it is also true that there are places in me that are dreadfully dark and gloomy and still in need of His light, His life, and His revelation. These dark and gloomy places manifest themselves in my behavior, speech, and attitudes; they manifest themselves in my habits and preferences; and in my thirst for control. These dark places are the shadows to which I must attend so that on that Day when I am found by Him, I’ve been diligent and determined in addressing and eradicating them.

Throughout the New Testament are many commands to get rid of this and/or to avoid that. Those are things I must do. All throughout the New Testament I am told to love, to be holy and such – I am to do them with the Help of the Helpless – the Spirit of Christ within me. That practice is the practice of attending to the shadows; and that I believe is what Peter addressed in the above verse.

How I attend to my shadows speaks of the strength or weakness of my relationship with Christ. If I am needy, hungry, thirsty and tired in my shadowland, then I am driven to do something about my pain or pangs. If I am comfortable, then I am probably complacent.

Lord God,
You are the light of the world and the light in my heart. As I live each new day I realize my need for Your illumination and my transformation and the attention I must daily give to the shadows in my soul, my personality and my perspective. Help me Jesus, I pray in Your Name. Amen.

Note to my readers:
You can visit Sacred Space at: http://sacredspace.ie/ I hope you enjoy your stay…

No comments: