Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Uh, Yes It Does


7.14.2010

Hebrews 11:16 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. ESV

I’m not sure how we ever came up with the term, “it doesn’t get any better than this!” I hear that a lot. I usually hear this during a good meal, on a good bike-ride, or on a good hike; or when things are being accomplished with relative ease. I wonder what the people who live in the squallor, poverty, and oppresion of third world countries say – I wonder if they make the same assessment.

It appears that God’s people of old said something to the effect of, “Uh, yes it does – my promised home is way better than this.” When I read through chapter 11 of Hebrews I get a different life perspective from the accounts of the people mentioned there. They were people who intensely desired and focused on that better country – the one God made for them and the one in which they would one day dwell. Their best and joyous day on earth ever, would amount to complete and utter misery compared to the worst day there.

Reading Hebrews 11 you might think that the people mentioned therein were all mentally deficient or certainly deluded. But they lived faithfully in faith in the face of a world that claims there is no God. And according to the writer of Hebrews they all received what was promised posthumously like we today received it prehumously so that together we all get the promises in the same way, by faith in Christ.

Father in Heaven,
It doesn’t get any better than that – by faith in Christ. That is the way I am to live in this world and that is my protection from getting too caught up in what I think are the good things this world has to offer. May I live by faith with my eyes focused upon that city where I will soon dwell, and can say in all truth, it doesn’t get any better than this! In Jesus’ better Name, amen.

No comments: