Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Priest Forever


7.10.2010

Heb 7:28 28 For the law appoints men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever. ESV

It behooves us to listen to God. As I’m reading this passage in Hebrews this morning, I’m thinking about the order of things and I realize that the word of the oath was after the writing of the Law. What is quoted earlier in this chapter is a verse from Psalm 110: The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, “You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.” (Ps 110:4 ESV). Psalm 110 was written by David who lived centuries after the Law of Moses was given to the people in their journey in the wilderness. What David said in Psalm 110 nullifies the Levitical Law and the Levitical priesthood. It wasn’t that the Law was wrong – it was that God intended us to be led by another more perfect priesthood through the Person of Jesus Christ – the Priest Forever.

God never changed His mind because He never intended His people to be ruled by law; He intended they be led by love; His love in them and for them; and their love in response. And in love and through love God’s people are to get to know God’s heart and walk in His ways so that their lives make a difference in this dismal world of inconsistencies, lies, and ever-changing and increasing rules.

Yes, I must listen to God because in His word – His communication with me – I find out that as important as the Law was, it doesn’t hold a candle to the magnitude of His love for us in Jesus Christ. And the love of God predates the Law of Moses by eternity past so that I may walk forever in His love through eternity future…thank You God!

Father in Heaven,
You are my God and You have many things to say that straighten out my crooked thinking. I am draw to rules because that is the way I was raised from infancy. But You call me to love because that is what You intended for me from all eternity. May I listen, learn, and love according to Your heart – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: