Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Keeping the Conversation Going


7.6.2010

Hebrews 3:13 13 But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. ESV

We have a responsibility to stay connected to one another because we cannot exhort one another every day if we don’t see one another or speak to one another every day. The Christian life is an open life that allows interaction with one another to keep the faith and the conversation going.

The writer of Hebrews was addressing a group of people who were in community and he urged them to cling together so that if nothing else they could detect, correct, and protect against the hardening of the heart brought on by the deceitfulness of sin. But that meant being in community and helping one another daily – something our culture doesn’t readily understand…

I am to seek a group of people to be with and around that I may exhort and be exhorted. I am to live in community with other believers in my day and in my town that I may help keep the conversation going. I must care and know that I am cared for because without the care and correction of others I’ll tend to get off the path and wander and who knows where I’ll end up? I must strive to live a connected life and be willing to submit who I am, what I do, say, and think so that my life helps build the Kingdom up and not tear it down.

Father in Heaven,
You’ve called all of us to stick close together and keep the conversation going that we may live the lives You’ve called us to and reveal our faith to others by doing so. Help me to do this – to find those who don’t want the conversation to die and who want to live as a band of brothers detecting, correcting, and protecting against the insidious deceitfulness of sin – in Christ’s Name, amen.

No comments: