Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Illumination of You


7.27.2010

2 Peter 1:19 19 And we have something more sure, the prophetic word, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, ESV

The day dawning and the morning star rising in the heart is a perfect picture of salvation – it’s when the sinner begins to see the big picture and says something profound like, “Oh, I get it!” And in the heart of the believer, it’s when he says, “Whoa, I never realized that!” and makes appropriate life-changes. Either way it’s the new beginning of relationship or the new beginning of understanding.

That’s why diligent, thoughtful, and regular Bible reading is so important; that’s why actively listening to expository preaching is so important. That’s why deep discussions about spiritual things with other believers are so important. It is the prophetic word to which we all do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place. The light of the knowledge of God shines in our hearts as we give Him our attention.

But with those things must be a hunger and thirst for action – I will do what I read; I will live as I am directed. I will follow God through His word, with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Reading without doing is dead. Listening without applying is dead. Faith without works is dead. The truth must be making a noticeable difference in my life or something is wrong. I must read and heed or I’m just fooling myself…

Father in Heaven,
Today Your word is like the day dawning and the morningstar rising in my heart, I see again, more of the big picture that only the light of Your word reveals. Lord, may I walk ever toward the light and attend with all diligence to the shadows that I may reflect in all that I am, the illumination of You. Amen.

No comments: