Thursday, July 8, 2010

Practice Practice Practice


7.8.2010

Hebrews 5:14 14 But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. ESV

Ask mommies of young children and they’ll tell you babies love their milk (or formula). But you watch young children when they develop a taste for solid food and man do they begin to chow down! Their hunger drives them on…

Babies in the Lord are often a different breed however; they seem to love milk and don’t want to progress past it – they don’t seem to want to grow up. And can you blame them; this world is evil and difficult to live in and more often than not church is a place to hide from the sin and evil of life and feel better for a while. And while we don’t let babies play on the freeway, the Scripture makes it clear that we are to have our powers of discernment trained by constant practice and exposure to the Word so that we’ll be able to discern good from evil.

So the battle never lets up and the issues of life are, at best, only kept at bay. So by God’s word and constant practice, we are trained to overcome by not taking the battle on ourselves, but by allowing God to work through us in every circumstance by His word so that we can walk as mature and well fed and not get defeated by the ugliness and evil of everyday life.

And just to read God’s word is only the beginning – putting it into practice, practice, practice – is the only way to survive; so I must allow God to teach me that I may live a worthy life by obeying and putting into constant practice the things I read in His word into my daily experience.

Father in Heaven,
May Your word have it’s way in my heart and may my appreciation for it grow and grow day by day. The days are indeed evil and I must learn to discern good from evil because often they look very similar to the untrained. Help me to glean truth and encourage my brothers to do likewise – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: