Monday, February 1, 2010

Do Overs


2/1/2010

Exodus 32.10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them, in order that I may make a great nation of you." ESV

This was a time of testing of Moses’ leadership. A lesser man might’ve taken God up on His offer – “Let’s just wipe them all out and start fresh with You!” How appealing that might be.

Ever had somebody at work just bug the crap out of you? Might be a supervisor or another worker – but you find you just can’t stand this person. Ever feel like the job would be more bearable if that person was gone; like life would be so much better if there was a hole where that person used to be? Revenge or retaliation might sound good but the bottom line is what is God teaching through this person and what should be the outcome?

I think God was testing Moses. I think God was offering Moses what we all want sometimes – just get rid of the mess and to start over with a clean slate. But while there are opportunities to ‘do-over’ I think God wants to see what we’ll do with what we have; so there are people and circumstances and situations that are designed to help us grow in grace, love, mercy, and patience.

When someone does wrong or does us wrong, what is our response – redemption and restoration – or just jettison the junk and move on with someone else? I believe Moses passed the test… I believe I am too whenever the opportunity presents itself to take it…

Father in Heaven,
You loved Your people despite their mistakes and missteps. The insulted You, rejected You, questioned You and doubted You, but You loved them and provided for them anyway. Help me to pass the tests and to stick with people when I want to toss them out and start over. Thank You that You didn’t do that with me – I give You praise in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: