Thursday, February 18, 2010

Leverage
2.18.2010

Numbers 4:49 49 According to the commandment of the Lord through Moses they were listed, each one with his task of serving or carrying. Thus they were listed by him, as the Lord commanded Moses. ESV

These days there is a show on TNT called Leverage starring some worn out actor whose character in the show is a sort of modern day Robin Hood. Apparently the title Leverage implies that whatever services are needed, are done by a carefully selected team of uniquely skilled people who work together to separate the evil rich guys from their money and give it back to the oppressed. Having never watched the show I can only guess; in my mind I’m thinking, The A-Team redux… although with no Mr. T…

In Numbers 4, God gives Moses specific instruction for the Levites and what their role is to be in guarding, keeping, setting up and tearing down of the tabernacle; and transporting it from place to place. This required leverage and a team of skilled operatives uniquely assigned working together to accomplish what God commanded…

Isn’t that what the church is all about? Isn’t She supposed to be a team of uniquely skilled operatives working together to carry out the will of God? Didn’t Paul say in 1 Corinthians 12, and Ephesians 4, To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good; for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ?

I am not designed nor gifted to go it alone; I am given what I have by the Holy Spirit in order to be listed …with my task of serving so that I can be leveraged with others in the Body of Christ in carrying out the will of God in the world.

Father God,
May Your will be accomplished in my life as I use the gifts You’ve given to leverage service and ministry with others for others in the Body of Christ and throughout the world in the sharing of the gospel – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: