Friday, February 26, 2010

No Room For Fear


2.26.2010

Mark 5:36 36 But overhearing what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, “Do not fear, only believe.” ESV

Okay, here’s the scene: your daughter is terminal and you know it and so you seek out God to have Him fix it, and when you get to the house (or the hospital) the coroner is already there and everyone is sadly shaking their heads – she’s gone. What do you think? What do you feel? She’s gone. Oh, my gosh! She’s gone!

But God says, “Don’t fear, only believe.” Believe what Lord, she’s gone! Do you know how hard it is to only believe when everything and everyone else is saying something else? That’s the problem with fear. Fear is like a big, fat, ugly, hairy smelly, ogre who tries to make himself at home on the sofa in the living room of your heart. He keeps telling you, It’s over, she’s gone and there’s nothing you can do; listen to the facts. Fact: fear is not God.

God says, don’t fear, only believe. He seems to be saying, don’t give fear a chance; don’t let the facts keep you from looking at Me. It was so hard for those parents that day; it’s often so hard for you and me today. But we must believe no matter how weird or difficult things get because God is God and He never changes. So we must make up our minds to only believe in God and not give way to fear.

Father in Heaven,
I haven’t had anyone close to me die for a while. I’m going to believe in You regardless. I know I fear other things and Lord, I repent and will fight fear for the rest of my days. I thank You that the little girl was saved and restored to her parents. I think of those who didn’t get that chance – but I’m going to believe in you anyway. Help me to be courageous and steadfast and to believe – I pray in Christ’s Name, amen.

No comments: