Thursday, February 25, 2010

So That


Mk 4:12 12 “…so that “they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven.”” ESV

This is one of those statements that make me stop and think. Why doesn’t the Lord says, “Speak to them so that they may see and perceive and may indeed hear and understand so that they should turn and be forgiven.”? It seems as if He misspeaks. But He doesn’t.

At this point in the narrative, God has had a long and wearying relationship with these people and He has spoken to them over and over and over and they still didn't get it – their minds were dull, their hearts were hard, the eyes were dim and they’re deaf. But God never stopped speaking to them – they just quit listening.

God is saying, “Without Me you can’t hear, see, perceive or do anything!” And that’s the crux; they were attempting to do everything holy without Him.

Without God in my life; without living faith in Him, I’m no different. Why do I keep doing the dumb things I do? Maybe I do them because I don’t listen. Listening to God means making the effort to listen; not just go through the motions. Listening to God means active listening and active responding. Listening to God means believing that He has something to say to me; and believing requires the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is only given to those He chooses. Belief is not cheap.

I didn’t do anything to deserve it, but He’s done it for me. I didn’t come seeking Him – He sought me. I didn’t want to become a Christian; but He gave me the gift of faith anyway. So that I could see and perceive and hear and understand; so that I could turn and be forgiven.” It was only with God then and it’s only with Him now.

Father in Heaven,
How the choosing, why the choosing – I haven’t a clue;
But that the choosing; Lord, that’s what You do.
You never intended I go it alone
And try to be holy and righteous all on my own.
You sent Your Spirit to come dwell in me;
So that I could hear and perceive and be eternally free.
This morning I pray for faith increasing
As I live and move in You with life never ceasing.
To do Your bidding in this world so bleak
That by faith others may hear You whenever You speak.

In Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: