Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gladly Exchange


2.14.2010

Acts 21:13 “For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Today, in places in this world, it is not uncommon for someone to zealously strap on some kind of explosive device, conceal it under their clothing, go into a crowd of people and detonate the device killing themselves and as many others as possible. They say things like, “I am willing to give myself to Allah for this…” Some call it fanaticism, they call it devotion.

The difference with Paul was he wasn’t going to harm anyone and was willing to lay his life down for the cause of Christ… “I’m ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die for the Name of the Lord Jesus.” All for the Name, he was willing.

In Philippians Paul said, “Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.” (Ph. 3.8) What was important to Paul was glorifying the Name. Paul knew what was important to his fellow man was hearing the Name, and he lived to share it no matter the personal cost to himself. He would gladly exchange his life or whatever personal freedoms he enjoyed to further the cause of Christ…

Does my devotion go that far? Will it? Am I willing to be imprisoned and even to die for the Name of the Lord Jesus? He was willing to die for me…

Father in Heaven,
You call me to be completely sold out to the cause as Paul was. Help me as I strive to free myself from the culture that holds me and help me to become as devoted as Paul; to do what is necessary regardless of the cost – I pray in the Name, amen.

No comments: