Monday, February 15, 2010

The God of My Own Making


2.15.2010

Acts 22:22 22 Up to this word they listened to him. Then they raised their voices and said, “Away with such a fellow from the earth! For he should not be allowed to live.” ESV

Exclusivity, the driving force behind most religions; the Jews had taken this to a whole new level; their God was their God and He wasn’t going to help anyone who didn’t measure up to their standards! And they would make sure of that.

When God becomes something of our own making we are in serious trouble. The God of our own making is Someone we can tolerate and be comfortable with; He’s Someone we can control and keep in His place. He becomes the servant; we become the master. As a result we are totally cut off from [the True] God and don’t even realize it…

This passage speaks to me of human relationships and the necessity of the ministry of the Holy Spirit for in my heart for inclusivity; God’s offer is for everyone. But that means I must accept His heart for all people, and trust that He is working in the lives of everyone around me not matter how they appear to me or measure up to my standard. The great commandment is go into all the world, and preach the Gospel to everyone and make disciples teaching them to obey what He has commanded so that they in turn may do the same thing – everyone is included in that!

Father in Heaven,
You are God alone and You love everyone. That doesn’t mean You tolerate sin; it mans You seek to save the sinner. And sinners are according to Your measure, not mine. Help me to be inclusive in my presentation of Your truth and to live in accordance to who You really are, not who I want to make You out to be – I pray for the ministry of the Holy Spirit in my heart – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

1 comment:

Ryan Young said...

Thank you for your thoughts on this Paul. What a great reminder to always be learning and studying about Jesus. Every day we interpret life through our belief system, but are we certain that belief system is on par with the only belief system that matters? God's. I have very strong political beliefs. What I think should be done and what is right. But am I absolutely certain Jesus would agree with me. I cannot say that I am. Thank you for reminding me to seek Him first, and let Him worry about everything I see as going so wrong!