Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Taking the Time for God


2.23.2010

Mark 2:27 27 And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. ESV

Every time I read this I see difficulty. Every time I read this I see where they got off track. The Sabbath was made for man in love and with concern for His well-being. Man was not made to work non-stop physically or mentally; and he was not made to block God out at all cost. The Sabbath was made for man to help him, not hinder him.

Where they got off track was misunderstanding what God meant by rest and by keeping the Sabbath. They thought God said “Keep My rules! – That’s why I made you!” What God said (or His intent) was, “Hey guys, take at least a day a week and spend it with Me; but be serious about it – if it isn’t on your calendar, you won’t do it…”

Moses said in Psalm 90, “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” (V. 12, ESV) I think he was saying, “Lord, teach us what our days really mean and how few and limited they are, that we may spend them wisely getting to know You in the process.” The Sabbath and life were made for man for his enjoyment and for his enjoyment of God – not the other way around…

I will use my time more wisely and be cautious about the things that get in the way of spending time with God and with others. I want to read more but only so that I can know God better, love Him more and love others more; not so that I can just fill my head with more stuff; the Sabbath was made for man – not man for the Sabbath.

Father in Heaven,
You gave us time that we may use it to get to know You. Help me to be wiser about my use of time and my taking time to spend just with You. You made time for me, not me for time – I thank You – amen.

No comments: